Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Why do we feel helpless?



I hate those times when things are not in my control. Being the control freak I am, has nothing to do with this feeling of helplessness. It’s like deep down I am becoming hollow. Something is digging a bottomless pit inside me and I am getting sucked inside by the gravitational pull. Every step I take to come up is one breath less that will have, to live. 

This feeling of helplessness is such that no one can help me get out. It something I can’t tell people around me, because how can I not have things under control. For a composed exterior can be very deceiving. Things that brew inside are only a secret between my mind and me.

Why is it that I feel this way? I may not be alone in feeling helpless after all it is a very human quality! There are many reasons why we feel helpless. Some being physical like James Franco’s character in 127 hours. At first he is extremely helpless, he can’t seem to move that boulder no matter how hard he tries, eventually he figures out a way to free himself. Another way in which we might feel helpless is when someone we love is in pain and there is nothing we can do to reduce that pain, in other words emotionally helpless. In my previous post I mentioned there are physical reasons for crying as well as emotional, the same thing applies here.

Getting back to that very feeling of not being able to do something, no matter how hard we try, nothing seems to happen. Its times like this when we might be unable to talk to our family and friends about this, in fear of getting embarrassed or simply not being understood.

And honestly sometimes there is nothing we can to about it, other than wallowing in self pity. It is easy for us to think of things like making a list, prioritizing, aiming for specific goals and so on. These actions are just a little hope we build for ourselves. Nothing really happens over night, especially mental/emotional stuff, slow, steady or fast we may be able to get the upper hand on life. We need to remember this might not be the last time you are going to feel like your world is tumbling down in a million pieces. And every time that happens give yourself time, gaining control may be easy but maintain it, is not (just ask all the famous dictators)! 

Don’t forget, asking for help many a times is very helpful!

No comments:

Post a Comment